Have you ever had a studio session approaching only to find that you have a hoarse voice? This can be disastrous when schedules have been set and money has been invested. Rest assured, there are ways to prevent hoarseness and techniques you can try to get your voice back in shape. Here's a few from a well known vocal coach and artist development expert. She has worked with Donald Fagen from Steely Dan, Courtney Love from Hole, and the band Journey.
- Drink lots of water. Eat healthy fruits and vegetables, which have lots of moisture. 99% of the time, dehydration is the number one cause of a hoarse voice.
- Be sure to get sleep! As artists, living a rock star lifestyle is fun and sometimes necessary, but also leave you with a dreadful voice the next day. Learn to balance your time to get those zzz’s in.
- Technique- Gently pull the laryngeal muscles down (check the video).
- For long term correction of a hoarse voice:
- Get a vocal coach to learn to sing correctly. Maybe you are straining your vocal chords while pushing those melodies out.
If your hoarseness last more than a few days, go to an ENT (throat doctor). It could possibly be a reflux issue.
We want to know your take... leave a comment below.